Weekly Recipe: Simple Split Pea Soup
Posted by Rebecca Shrimpton on
This super simple split pea soup recipe isn't gorgeous or exotic, but it will successfully warm you up and fill you up, and that's why we'd like to share it with you! A short grocery list and only ten minutes prep time later, you'll be really glad you tried it. There's nothing better than a big warm bowl of soup on negative 20 degree days like today!
Simple Split Pea Soup
1 cup split peas
1 small onion
2 medium-sized carrots
2 medium-sized stalks of celery
1 small sweet potato
½ tsp thyme
4 cups water
Salt to taste
- In a pot, sauté the onions in a bit of water until softened.
- Add the carrots, celery and thyme, then stir for a few minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, split peas and water.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour, until all the vegetables are tender and the split peas have broken down.
- Carefully blend the soup until creamy, adding more water if needed.
- Add the salt, then taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.