Making Monday Pretty: Protect Your Hair While You Snooze July 14 2014
Simply put, we love to sleep. However, we don't always love what it does to our hair! Below are a few tips to turn your nightly snoozefest into beneficial treatment or style time for your locks.
1. Bring back the scrunchie! If you tend to tie your hair up into a ponytail with a regular elastic band every night you are unknowingly causing stress to your roots and breakage where the ponytail sits night after night. Instead, twist your hair loosely into a top knot and secure with a good ol' scrunchie which is gentler on the hair and has a covered elastic. In the morning when you remove the top knot you will have a nice soft wave to your hair.
2. Wrap it. If you prefer sleek and straight to beachy waves, try wrapping your hair close to your head to keep your blow-dry in tact. Start at the top of the head and using a brush, direct the hair down and around your head, bobby pinning it into place as you go.
3. Switch out your pillow case. Time for an upgrade! Little did you know but cotton pillow cases can cause extra pulling on your hair strands, fraying the cuticle creating frizz and breakage. Simply upgrading to a satin or silk pillowcase will completely remedy this, and bonus, its better for your gentle skin as well!
4. Apply an overnight treatment. If your strands are really screaming for help, apply coconut oil to the ends of your hair (or up to the scalp if need be), tie it in a loose top knot and wrap in a silk scarf or gently fabric to protect your pillowcase. In the morning, apply shampoo directly to your oily hair (don't get it wet first!) and then start the shower and go on with your normal routine. Voila, deeply nourished hair!
5. Don't forget to brush. One of the simplest things you can do is to remember to brush your hair out before bed. Using a wide tooth comb or natural bristle brush, brush your hair from roots to ends for a few minutes to help distribute the natural oils and help stop little knots turning into bigger ones overnight.
Have a beautiful Monday everyone!