Summer is upon us, and when the season change we can always use some tips and tricks to keep our beauty game on point, below are a few of our musts for this season.
1. Make sure your sunscreen is broad spectrum, UVB rays cause burning but it's UVA rays that penetrate deeper and cause premature aging and skin cancer.
2. Apply sunscreen everywhere. While clothing does provide some added protection, its only equivalent to about an SPF 8, so make sure to apply sunscreen everywhere before getting dressed.
3. Make sure you're using non-comedegenic. This goes for your sunscreen, skin products and makeup and is especially important in the summer. In the summer we sweat more, which takes longer to evaporate off the skin once that is combined with oily products it is bad news for anyone with acne prone skin. Non-comedegenic products are designed not to clog pores and can help ward off summer breakouts.
4. Exfoliate at night. Exfoliating is so important to keep your skin fresh, pimple free and ready for makeup, but it can also leave fresh skin sensitive and susceptible to burning so make sure you only exfoliate at night.
5. Don't forget to switch your makeup shades. Even though we avoid the sun and load up on sunscreen, it's inevitable that we will get a little bit of a glow, not to mention our love of self tanner. So it makes sense that the foundation and concealer colours we used in the winter won't be a perfect match anymore. To keep things looking natural, switch to a shade darker in your face products.
6. ...And don't rely on bronzer to darken everything up. Bronzer is not supposed to be applied all over the face as setting powder. Bronzer should be applied to your forehead, cheekbones, bridge of the nose and chin, all the places the sun would naturally hit. Also steer clear of anything to shimmery which will look fake in bright sunshine.
7. Don't forget to prime. When your foundation or powders mix with the oils on your skin (which there are more of in the summer by the way), it has a tendency to wear off and become blotchy, not so cute. Primer creates a barrier between your skin's oils and your makeup, whilst providing a perfectly blurred canvas for makeup application. Last week we raved about the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer and we urge you to make this a part of your morning routine.
8. Embrace your texture. Humidity wreaks havoc on hair and sometimes the best thing to do is just to embrace what mother nature gave you. Give your blowdryer and straightener a break and instead reach for a surf spray and go for a tousled, wavy look. Bumble and Bumble's new Surf Infusion Spray is our favourite this year.
9. Protect your hair too. Especially if you colour your hair, the sun can damage, dry out, and alter the colour of your strands, and once your hair is damaged and breaks all you can do is wait. So make sure you use a product with UV filters all over your hair every time you shower and quickly spray each day as well. Protect that colour you spent time and money getting just right!
Have a beautiful Monday everyone!