Weekly Recipe: Quick Shrimp Quesadillas March 15 2014
This is a super easy and super filling meal idea. The classic cheese quesadilla stands great on its own accompanied by a good salsa or guacamole, but add some grilled shrimps and you've really got a balanced dinner together. It's got a lot of creamy components, so we recommend serving with an arugula and endive salad to add more colour, texture, and of course nutrients. For those who like things spicy, thinly slice some red or green chilies to add in alongside the shrimp and cheese. As always, this is a dish easily tweaked to suit any taste preference.
Quick Shrimp Quesadillas
- Olive oil
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1finely chopped green onion or scallion
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Flour or corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the shrimp in a medium bowl and add the lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, chile powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and onion powder. Mix well and place in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp. Cook about 5 minutes or until they are cooked.
- On a work surface, spread 2 of the tortillas. Sprinkle the cheese over the bottom of each tortilla. Add the shrimp evenly on top of the cheese, sprinkle with scallions, then top with cilantro. Top with another tortilla.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray over medium heat. Carefully place 1 quesadilla in pan and cook 2 minutes.
- Using a spatula, gently flip the quesadilla and cook an additional 2 minutes until lightly browned and cheese is melted. Repeat with second quesadilla.
- Serve warm with a side of salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.