Weekly Recipe: French Chicken Stew November 01 2013
We love a good home cooked meal and find it ultra satisfying when we've actually made that meal ourselves. To kick off November, we've decided to counteract all of the candy and chilly weather with a hearty French chicken stew that we found here. We realize most of you don't have the time to babysit the stove top for three hours waiting for this concoction to cook through, so we've opted for this slow cooker recipe. If you don't already have a crock pot, we highly recommend you get your hands on one! Coming home to ready-to-serve meal will truly change your begrudged perspective on cooking.
French Chicken Stew
- 4 cups of sliced button mushrooms
- 1 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes, not drained
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red potato, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup of green beans, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 cup of olives, pitted and halved
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 1 tsp of dried herbes de Provence (or Italian seasoning)
- 3/4 tsp of dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp of crushed black pepper
- 8 skinless boneless chicken thighs (totaling about 2 lbs)
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 14oz jar of tomato sauce (your favourite)
In a 5-6 quart slow cooker (this is a typical size) combine the mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots, onion, potato, green beans, chicken broth, wine, and herbs.
Lay chicken thighs on top and sprinkle with salt.
Cover and cook for 7 hours on the low heat setting.
Before serving, stir in the pasta sauce for extra richness and flavour. Serve with French bread.